Program Recap - May 21, 2014
The Rotary Club of Cashiers Valley invited Dr. Don Thomas, President, Southwestern Community College, to provide a report on the Student Success Campaign to establish a $1 million endowment for scholarships and educational opportunities.
Every year more than 200 hopeful students submit applications for scholarships at SCC. For the year 2013-14 only 43 of 225 applications received funding, which left 81% unfunded. This campaign has the ability to more than double the number of scholarships awarded to deserving students. The Rotary Club presented a check to Dr. Thomas in support of the campaign.
Pictured left to right: Dr. Don Thomas, Mary Otto Selzer, SCC Foundation Director, and Jim Zoller, SCC Foundation Chair.
Abouth Southwestern Community College
Southwestern Community College is a comprehensive learning and teaching institution offering high quality innovative instruction and support to all who need and value these services. Seamless links with the community, advanced technology and a culturally rich environment promote student achievement and academic excellence.
Southwestern Community College accomplishes its mission through customer focus, continuous improvement and teamwork:
- to awaken the potential of each student, offering multiple pathways for learning what is important to know and to do — giving coherence and meaning to the total educational experience
- to aggressively pursue the most current technologies while maintaining a nurturing atmosphere which appreciates the value of every individual
- to be a catalyst for community service — removing barriers, creating linkages, building relationships and integrating resources to enhance the quality of life
- to be a leader in economic development and a mindful steward of the natural and cultural resources of the area
- to prepare citizens to live, learn and work in a diverse global village